Thursday, February 16, 2012

Down...but not out

Sad day in Frog land yesterday. That I at least know for sure. I went through a range of thoughts and emotions yesterday when news of the TCU drug bust broke.
-- Anger: How could these players/students be so stupid? How could they dare make my school look bad? How could they care so little about tarnishing everything that Coach Patterson and his players had worked so hard for? (I know it was more than just football players involved but this is a football blog so that's what I'm mainly talking about.)
-- Bewilderment: The cockiness and air of entitlement that these players seemed to have is just ridiculous. Brock, especially, throwing away what was probably a promising NFL career--something most people can only dream about--and he threw it away for this??? And for all of the students...throwing away a college education and possibly any hopes for a successful future?
-- Concern: What does this mean for TCU and the football program? Is this just the tip of the iceberg? Is it going to get worse?
-- Complacency: This happens everywhere right? Drugs are prevalent on most (or all) college campuses. I'm sure other programs have had their share of problems. However this feeling quickly changed... maybe it does happen everywhere but not here. That's what has set TCU apart. We have a reputation of building a program where football isn't the only thing that matters but so does the all-around character and education of the athletes. (Back to Anger/Bewilderment/Concern)
-- Annoyance: Of course, the media went into attack mode with unsupported "facts." I just can't believe that if 80 players failed a drug test that we would have the success on the field we have had, but maybe I'm naive.
And then lastly...
-- Pride: I know pride may seem like an odd feeling after this. Obviously, there is no pride in what these few students and players have done, but what I am proud of is how TCU has handled this storm. I'm not sure many colleges would have done the same. For starters, TCU went to the media with the news and owned up to what had happened. TCU immediately separated the students from the university, showing no favoritism simply because some were athletes and might harm our football team. I know there is a possibility this story might get worse but I'm hopeful that it ends here with these few students making horrible choices. Chancellor Boschini and Coach Patterson have both been solid leaders thus far. I loved what Coach Patterson said in his statement, "Under my watch, drugs and drug use by TCU’s student-athletes will not be tolerated by me or any member of my coaching staff. Period. Our program is respected nationally for its strong ethics and for that reason the players arrested today were separated from TCU by the University. I believe strongly that young people’s lives are more important than wins or losses. " That is exactly why he is awesome and I believe he will raise the program back up from this minor setback. Not to downplay the severity of the situation. I understand and agree that this is a big deal. Hopefully, it will serve as a lesson so nothing like this ever happens again. I just believe that we will get past this and continue to be a strong football program and school. I liked what Randy Galloway said in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "As with most all other college programs involved in scandal or bad headlines created by the actions of players, TCU's football program will overcome this. Patterson is too strong, too respected and too good for that not to happen." I'm with you Randy! My vote is on Coach Patterson any day.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis. I totally agree. Kids (we have to remember that these awesome athletes are just dumb kids sometimes) will make mistakes, but it's how you respond that matters.

    Sidenote: YOU HAVE TO WATCH FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. YOU WILL LOVE IT.

    Sorry for yelling. BUT SERIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete